Matera is celebrating its inauguration as the European Capital of Culture 2019 with a spectacular opening weekend of performance. Watch part of the ceremony live on this page – Saturday, January 19 from 18:50 CET. The European Capital of Culture is a year-long event that celebrates diversity and culture in Europe and aims to help people discover the richness of the continent. In Matera the opening celebrations will take place across two days between January 19 and 20. During the event, marching bands from many of the Basilicata’s municipalities will give extraordinary performances on the streets of the town, reviving old musical traditions on an impressive scale, with each band representing a European Capital of Culture. Overall more than 2,000 musicians will converge on the city, enjoying lunch with local residents and spectators before finishing their journey at sunset, surrounded by candelight. Later in the evening musical performances from both national and international guests will be conducted by Stefano Bollani and a greeting from the President of the Italian Republic Sergio Mattarella will be followed by a firework display. Matera: city of history Matera is most famously known for its cave-dwelling districts known as Sassi, with narrow lanes, houses and… Read full this story
- Rijeka and Galway: 2020 European Capitals of Culture
- European capitals of culture 2020: Galway and Rijeka prepare for a year of festivities
- The European Capital of Culture title gave Košice the courage to think big
- Galway is a European Capital of Culture 2020. But how do other Irish cities feel about it?
- Jharkhand CM swearing in ceremony LIVE: Hemant Soren takes oath as 11th CM
- Vietnam-Japan cultural exchange festival opens in HCM City
- Ninh Binh ready for opening ceremony of National Tourism Year
- Alicia Keys to sing at the Champions League opening ceremony
- Alec and Hilaria Baldwin pack on the PDA court side at the 2019 US Open as they watch Serena Williams take on Maria Sharapova
- Boxing Day 2019 supermarket opening times for all the major chains
Matera, European Capital of Culture 2019: watch the opening ceremony live have 326 words, post on www.euronews.com at January 19, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.