PUBLISHED: 08:02 30 January 2019 Hannah Somerville Barking and Dagenham Council has been found guilty of discrimination. Pic: Ken Mears Archant A homeless mother-of-three was “devastated” after Barking and Dagenham Council locked her temporary accommodation while she was in prison and destroyed all her family’s possessions. The family is set to receive £7,500 after an explosive report by the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman found the council had been unfairly “inflexible” and misunderstood its legal duties.The watchdog also ruled it was unreasonable to expect a homeless prisoner to pay £144.40 a week in storage charges, and to refuse her offer to pay some of the costs.In their analysis, investigators wrote: “These faults had a devastating impact on Ms X and her children. They lost everything they owned. This included irreplaceable items of sentimental value. “Officers failed to take account of Ms X’s vulnerability, her lack of income and lack of support from friends or family members.“The council’s actions caused severe worry and distress for Ms X at a very difficult time in her life.”The council first accepted it owed a duty of care to the single mother and her children in October 2015 after they were left homeless by… Read full this story
- Homeless family's council row over claim they 'slept in park'
- 17 houses bought for homeless families in Coventry
- Stranger 'angel' helps homeless family at supermarket
- Families call for CCTV on busy road after yobs scratch cars
- Mayor Andy Street says benefit cuts have increased homelessness
- Mum slams Blackpool Pleasure Beach for not being budget friendly
- Housing First plan to support homeless in Newbury
- Ten steps to escaping the rental trap so you can own your home
- What Bristolians think should be done about homelessness
- Homeless people facing long waits to leave hospital
Local authority slammed after disposing of everything homeless family owned have 288 words, post on www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.uk at January 30, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.