DONALD Trump’s TV appeal to fund his Mexico border wall was picked apart by senior Democrats who branded it “misinformation and malice” last night. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi accused the President of “manufacturing a crisis” while minority Senate leader Chuck Schumer said Mr Trump was having a “temper tantrum”. They spoke on US television in response to Mr Trump’s unusual primetime address to the nation from the Oval Office on the 18th day of a government shutdown stalemate. Some departments have ground to a halt as Congress clashed over the president’s demand for $5.7billion (£4.5billion) to pay for a barrier on the southern border. Mr Trump said all Americans are hurt by uncontrolled illegal immigration and blamed Democrats for the shutdown. He claimed there was a “growing humanitarian and security crisis” on the frontier but stopped short of declaring a national emergency as some had feared. Donald Trump makes desperate plea for Mexico border wall funding in address to the nation In their rebuttal, Democrats laid into Mr Trump for “stoking fear to divert attention from the turmoil in his administration”. Mr Schumer said: “The President of the United States – having failed to get Mexico to pay for his… Read full this story
- What is the Longest Government Shutdown? Donald Trump Border Wall Stalemate Could Soon Eclipse Previous Shutdown Record
- ‘He Stops At Nothing’ — Cher Urges Nancy Pelosi To Let Trump ‘Have His FKNG Money’
- Pelosi, Schumer Respond to Trump Border Address: 'We Don't Govern by Temper Tantrum'
- Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer Response Tops Donald Trump's Speech in Ratings
- Nancy Pelosi speech manipulated to make her appear 'drunk' does not violate Facebook rules
- Video: Nancy Pelosi's State of the Union Clap-back Is Now a Meme
- White House: Trump will sign funding bill, declare border emergency
- Ann Coulter Blasts Donald Trump Over Border Wall Proposal: 'We Voted For Trump and Got Jeb!'
- Nancy Pelosi Announces Democrats Will Attempt to 'Reopen All Government Agencies' Next Week: 'Chaos of Trump Shutdown Must End Now'
- Trump impeachment: Nancy Pelosi's glare and more top moments from a historic day
House speaker Nancy Pelosi picks apart Trump’s border wall funding speech branding it ‘misinformation and malice’ have 341 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at January 9, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.