PUBLISHED: 08:02 30 January 2019 | UPDATED: 15:11 30 January 2019 Hannah Somerville Barking Town Hall. Pic: Ken Mears Archant A homeless mother-of-three was “devastated” after Barking and Dagenham Council locked her temporary accommodation while she was in prison and destroyed all her family’s possessions. The family is set to receive £7,500 after an explosive report by the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman found the council had been unfairly “inflexible” and misunderstood its legal duties.The watchdog also ruled it was unreasonable to expect a homeless prisoner to pay £144.40 a week in storage charges, and to refuse her offer to pay some of the costs.In their analysis, investigators wrote: “These faults had a devastating impact on Ms X and her children. They lost everything they owned. This included irreplaceable items of sentimental value. “Officers failed to take account of Ms X’s vulnerability, her lack of income and lack of support from friends or family members.“The council’s actions caused severe worry and distress for Ms X at a very difficult time in her life.”The council first accepted it owed a duty of care to the single mother and her children in October 2015 after they were left homeless by rent… Read full this story
- Single mum worked two jobs to buy £210k three-bed house after just five months saving for a deposit
- The teenage single mum who became a millionaire: Woman who left school at 17 reveals how she built a beauty empire and now splashes £250,000 on diamonds and stays in £1,000-a-night hotels
- Heartbreaking email mum sent to baby daughter she poisoned with salt
- Mum who saved $30,000 in less than 12 months reveals her top six 'travel hacks' to make your next holiday THOUSANDS of dollars cheaper
- California Senate passes bill to make PG&E pay for blackouts
- Newborn baby who passed away one day after his mum was found dead on hospital floor will be buried in her arms
- Myleene Klass, 41, is every inch the doting mum as she arrives at work with baby son Apollo... after sharing candid details about her 'blended family'
- Mum, 32, spends $2,000 on incredible 'Kidchella' festival-inspired seventh birthday party for her daughter - complete with a ferris wheel, flower crowns, glitter face paint and an ice cream van
- EXCLUSIVE: Louis Tomlinson's mum has seen his lovechild in the womb and both families are 'getting on great' – so why is mother-to-be talking about hiring a lawyer?
- 'How good are mums!' Phoebe Burgess shows her close bond with her two young kids Poppy and Billy... three months after splitting from husband Sam
Council to pay compensation to single mum after they threw away everything she owned have 413 words, post on www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.uk at January 30, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.