Sections SEARCH Skip to content Skip to site index Politics Subscribe Log In Log In Today’s Paper Politics | 116th Congress Live Updates: The New House Elects a Speaker Supported by Live Briefing ByThe New York Times Jan. 3, 2019 Right Now: The oaths of office are being administered to the speaker and members. • The 116th Congress, with the House in Democratic control, has come to order. • Representative Nancy Pelosi, Democrat of California, was elected speaker. • Anticipating victory, Ms. Pelosi suggested in an interview Thursday morning that President Trump can be indicted. Democrats take control. Right on schedule, the House gaveled in for the 116th Congress, with Democrats now in control. The name plate wasn’t on the door of the Capitol’s sumptuous speaker’s suite yet, but Ms. Pelosi strode out of the speaker’s office toward the chamber, grandchildren in tow. Lawmakers and their children and grandchildren waved from the well of the House to family members seated in the galleries above. The press section was packed standing-room-only with journalists, and visitors clogged the hallways waiting their turn to go through full-body security scanners and take seats in the balcony overlooking the floor. Tony Bennett, who sang “I… Read full this story
- Trump visits Harvey victims in Houston — live updates
- Full list of Congress candidates in Delhi assembly election 2020
- ***Live Updates*** Trump Impeachment Trial: Democrats Begin Opening Arguments
- The 2016 Republican convention - live updates
- $1.7M Updated 1960s House In Phoenix: Resort Feel, Mountain Views
- Iowa lawmakers begin 2020 session, name new House speaker
- Live Updates: Preparations Underway as Trump's Senate Impeachment Trial Set to Begin
- Commission Chair: Bensalem House Election A 'Waste'
- Commission Chair: Bensalem House Election A 'Waste' (ICYMI)
- Live Updates: Mishustin Asks to Prepare All Documents to Implement Goals Outlined in Putin's Address
116th Congress Live Updates: The New House Elects a Speaker have 289 words, post on www.nytimes.com at January 3, 2019. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.