Jakarta (ANTARA News) – Head of the Political Research Center of the Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI) Firman Noor said that the oligarchic system seen in political parties in Indonesia has a negative impact on its democracy. “The impact is very bad for Indonesian democracy, because policies are made or determined by a handful of people,” Noor stated in a presentation on Priority Research Results of LIPI 2018, at the LIPI Office, Jakarta, on Tuesday. According to him, the appointment of the person should be based on a strict “merit system” and the expertise of a person in that position. However, he noted that the process of filling up political positions was through transactional politics, which is based on the concept of who could do what, without considering the quality. “It has becomes a trend, and this tends to endanger democracy because democracy will not produce anything other than elite interests,” he added. Noor remarked that from several academic studies it is evident that Indonesia?s original democracy is mixed with oligarchy. According to him, Indonesia has a unique characteristic based of democracy and oligarchy. “People are free to participate in elections, but the owners of capital that exist in political… Read full this story
- Telugu political parties silent on Maharashtra politics: Youth unhappy with ‘dawn development’
- Sudan protesters don’t want political parties in government
- South Korean political parties back Moon in Japan trade row
- California could ban ‘misleading’ political party names
- Name political parties demanding money to endorse Buhari, parties tell Oshiomhole
- Colombia's FARC rebels unveil political party after 50 years of war, future uncertain
- Minnesota’s pro-marijuana political parties prepare for 2020
- I will never join any political party, says actor Prakash Raj
- Don’t dismiss the ‘other’ political parties: they might be the future
- General election: Who funds our political parties?
Oligarchy of political parties threatens democracy in Indonesia: LIPI have 306 words, post on en.antaranews.com at December 11, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.