World International Affairs Iran’s Foreign Minister Javad Zarif shared a Christmas message commemorating the birth of Jesus to Twitter on Monday, as the Islamic Republic continues to crack down on Christian converts. Quoting a verse from the Islamic holy book the Quran, Zarif wrote: “The angels said, ‘Mary, God gives you good tidings of a Word from Him whose name is Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary; high honored shall he be in this world and the next, near stationed to God.’ (QURAN 2:45) May the blessings of the birth of Jesus usher peace and joy to all in 2019.” Although Islam does not consider Jesus to be God as do Christians, it recognizes him as an important prophet. While Christmas is not traditionally celebrated in Islam, many Muslims around the world commemorate the holiday in remembrance of Jesus’s birth. Iran is also home to an estimated 300,000 to 500,000 Christians, primarily of Armenian and Assyrian descent. This Christian minority is guaranteed representation in the country’s government, as is the Islamic Republic’s minority Jewish community. But Iran, which has a population that is about 90 percent Shia Muslim, also takes a hardline stance against adherents of Islam who convert to Christianity. British newspaper… Read full this story
- Iran foreign minister Zarif tweets back at Trump: 'BE CAUTIOUS!'
- Iran foreign minister tweets back at Trump: 'BE CAUTIOUS!'
- Turkey told US it opposes sanctions on Iran: foreign minister
- 'Addicted to Sanctions': Iran Will Not Bow to US Pressure – Foreign Minister
- Jeremy Hunt meeting German foreign minister for Brexit talks in Berlin
- Eilis O'Hanlon: Foreign ministers are supposed to smooth over tensions, not to inflame them... clearly, Simon Coveney missed the email
- Ecuador Foreign Minister: Assange Can't Enjoy 'Eternal Asylum' in London Embassy
- Brexit latest: Former foreign minister Boris Johnson says Britain is heading for 'the status of a colony' to the EU
- Salisbury spy poisoning is distraction from Brexit – Russia foreign minister
- Estonia Will Talk To Russia 'From Position of Strength' – Foreign Minister
Iran's Foreign Minister Hails Birth of Jesus in Christmas Tweet As Islamic Republic Cracks Down on Christians have 334 words, post on www.newsweek.com at December 24, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.