The 2-month-old girl who was critically injured in the Revere crash that claimed the life of her older sister died Wednesday night, according to authorities.
The Suffolk District Attorney’s office identified the child as Natasha Nicole Mejia-Rivera, the younger sister of 5-year-old Adrianna Mejia-Rivera, who was killed on Sunday when a car veered off Route 145 and struck the children who were waiting to cross the street with two adults and another child. The infant died in the Massachusetts General Hospital Pediatric Intensive Care Unit where she had been in critical condition since the crash.
Additional charges against the driver in the crash, Autumn Harris, 42, of Beacon Hill, are likely in the “days and weeks to come,” according to the DA’s office.
“Our priority right now is supporting a family who lost the center of their world in the blink of an eye,” District Attorney John Pappas said in a statement on Thursday.
Harris was arraigned on charges of motor vehicle homicide and negligent operation of a motor vehicle on Monday in Chelsea District Court. She was ordered held on $10,000 bail.
Authorities say Harris was driving a 2015 Chevrolet Equinox on Route 145 just before 5 p.m. Sunday when she drove off the road near North Shore Road, striking the group of five pedestrians who were waiting on the sidewalk inside the median strip to use a crosswalk.
“The resulting impact projected the victims and scattered debris throughout the grass median,” state police said.
Adrianna died at the scene, and her sister was rushed to Massachusetts General Hospital with life-threatening injuries. The third child, a 2-year-old, and the two adult women were transported to the hospital for treatment of less serious injuries, as was the passenger in the vehicle with Harris.
Prosecutors say Harris told authorities after the crash that she took sleep medication the night before, only slept two hours, and then drank a beer on Sunday afternoon. She allegedly told them that she vaped CBD oil in the car and that she might have fallen asleep at the wheel.
A vigil had been planned outside City Hall in Revere on Thursday night to remember the life of Adrianna.
A GoFundMe page was started on Monday to help the family bury 5-year-old Adrianna in El Salvador, with the fundraiser organizer pleading with people to pray “for a miracle” for the younger child to recover. As of Thursday morning, it had raised more than $27,000.
“These are the [parents’] only two children,” fundraiser organizer Evelyn Muniz wrote.
- 13-Year-Old Michigan Girl Killed In Snowmobile Accident
- 'My heart is so full': Candice Warner shares an adorable snap of her oldest daughter Ivy Mae, five, with her five-month-old sister Isla Rose
- Mum’s horror as nanny ‘snatches’ her five-month-old baby girl days after hiring her on Facebook
- Sameera Reddy Shares An Adorable Picture With Her 1 Month Old Baby Girl Nyra Varde
- Finally! TV Actress Navina Bole Shares FIRST PIC Of Her 3-Month-Old BABY GIRL Revealing Her Face & She Is Too Cute To Handle!
- Mom defends her 10-year-old daughter who allegedly killed a six-month-old baby by dropping him and then stomping on his head when he cried at a Wisconsin daycare, insisting there's 'no way it was intentional'
- Heartbreaking photos show a three-month old pit bull puppy named Tyler swaddled in bandages after a thug set him on fire with a BLOWTORCH
- 'I tried my best and I hope you know that': Heartbroken mother's tribute to six-month-old baby who died from 'mystery illness' after being sent home from hospital
- Texas court blocks hospital from taking 9-month-old baby off life support as her family desperately searches for a facility to care for the infant girl in the next 10 days despite her 'irreversible' heart condition
- Five-month-old boy dies days after hopes of a life-saving liver transplant fell through