Authorities say a charter bus carrying a youth football team has crashed in Arkansas, killing one child and injuring at least 40 other people.
Arkansas State Police say the wreck happened early Monday along Interstate 30 near Benton, about 25 miles (40 kilometers) southwest of Little Rock. State police say the charter bus was traveling from Texas to Memphis, Tennessee.
Police say the bus was carrying a football team that had played in a championship game in Dallas over the weekend. Police say most of the injured are children who were taken to hospitals in Little Rock and Benton.
Authorities did not immediately identify which school was involved. State police say the bus overturned after driving off the interstate. The bus driver is being questioned by troopers.
Copyright Associated Press
- Boise youth football team meets with couple they helped rescue from overturned car
- Idaho youth football team rescues victims after car accident
- Idaho youth football team rescues couple from overturned car in Oregon
- Nevada couple thank youth football team that rescued them from car
- Runaway bus carrying Pa. National Guard crashes into fireworks store
- Otter Garden Centre donates new summerhouse to youth football team
- Thailand youth football team trapped in flooded cave
- Youth football team 'found safe' in Thai caves after 9 days
- Bus carrying Jacksonville church students catches fire
- Boise football team won a championship, then helped rescue two people on the drive home