Published 7:52 AM EST Dec 3, 2018
Benton, Ark. – A charter bus carrying a youth football team from Tennessee crashed in Arkansas early Monday, killing one child and injuring at least 40 other people, according to authorities.
Arkansas State Police said the wreck happened along Interstate 30 near Benton, about 25 miles southwest of Little Rock. State police said the charter bus was traveling from Texas to Memphis, Tennessee.
Memphis TV station WMC reports that the bus was carrying a football team from the Orange Mound Youth Association in Tennessee that had played in a tournament in Dallas over the weekend. The TV station reports the children are elementary-school age.
Police most of the injured are children who were taken to hospitals in Little Rock and Benton. Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock said it received more than 20 patients following the morning crash. No information about the severity of the injuries was immediately available.
State police say the bus overturned after driving off the interstate. The bus driver is being questioned by troopers.
- More than a dozen hurt in bus crash on Los Angeles highway
- Child dead, another critical in north Houston crash
- California bus crash leaves approximately 40 people hurt
- JFRD: 1 dead, 1 seriously hurt in Southside crash
- 50 people killed after bus crashes in western Kenya
- Multiple people hurt as serious crash closes part of Route 130
- 2 men are dead, 3 people hurt in two Minneapolis shootings
- At least 4 dead after grisly bus crash in New Mexico, hospital says
- Tourist bus crashes in Bulgaria; 15 reported killed
- At least four killed in head-on bus crash in New Mexico