Sections SEARCH Skip to content Skip to site index Europe Subscribe Log In Log In Today’s Paper Supported by ByPeter Baker and Adam Nossiter Nov. 10, 2018 PARIS — President Trump and President Emmanuel Macron of France met on Saturday, seeking to restore a relationship that started out friendly only to turn sour in recent months amid the American leader’s complaints that Europe is taking advantage of the century-old trans-Atlantic alliance. Mr. Macron reassured Mr. Trump that his call this week for a “true European army” to defend against Russia, China and even the United States was actually in harmony with the American president’s insistence that NATO allies pick up more of the burden of mutual security efforts. “I do share President Trump’s views that we need much better burden-sharing within NATO, and that’s why I do believe my proposals for European defense are utterly consistent with that,” Mr. Macron said with Mr. Trump at his side at the Élysée Palace. Mr. Trump, who has bitterly assailed European allies for not spending more on defense, said he was glad to hear Mr. Macron say that. “He understands the United States can only do so much, in fairness to the United… Read full this story
- Watch: Brazil's Bolsonaro and Donald Trump meet at White House
- Elon Musk Exits Trump Advisory Councils Amid Climate Accord Withdrawal
- Appeals court rules Trump can build border wall
- Trump Awards Trophy at Marquee Sumo Event in Tokyo
- The Latest: Trump administration looks to prevent pay freeze
- Trump’s adviser meets Russian defense minister in Moscow
- Austrian Chancellor Kurz Announces Meeting with President Trump
- What is 5G and why did Trump nix a huge tech deal to boost America's lead in its development?
- G.M. Says New Wave of Trump Tariffs Could Force U.S. Job Cuts
- Permutations explained: How Ulster can reach European knockout rounds even if they lose out in Leicester clash
Trump Meets With Macron Amid Tension Over European Security have 324 words, post on www.nytimes.com at November 10, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.