WASHINGTON — The Latest on Michael Avenatti (all times local):
Vermont Democrats have cancelled several events with Stormy Daniels’ lawyer Michael Avenatti following his arrest over allegations of domestic violence.
Avenatti, whose representation of Daniels and criticism of President Donald Trump have led to speculation of a 2020 presidential run, was taken into police custody Wednesday. Police responded Tuesday to a report of domestic violence and he remains in police custody in Los Angeles.
R. Christopher Di Mezzo, the communication director for the Vermont Democratic Party, tells the Burlington Free Press that Avenatti’s appearances in Vermont this weekend were cancelled. He says the party “wasn’t going to step in that arena” as a result of the arrest.
The party was set to host Avenatti in Burlington on Friday and in White River Junction on Saturday.
A law enforcement official says Michael Avenatti is in police custody in Los Angeles following an allegation of domestic violence.
The official says Avenatti was taken into custody Wednesday. Police had responded to a domestic violence incident a day earlier and took a report.
The official wasn’t authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.
Avenatti remained in custody Wednesday evening and a call and text message seeking comment weren’t immediately returned.
Avenatti is best known as the lawyer for porn actress Stormy Daniels, who has said she had sex with President Donald Trump in 2006. Trump has denied having an affair.
Avenatti is also mulling a 2020 presidential run.
- Queen health: Queen of Norway cancels major event over health - what is wrong with Queen?
- Univ. of Pennsylvania Cancels Immigration Event
- The Latest: Chicago classes canceled for 6th day amid strike
- The Latest: 55 Hawaii wind farm protesters arrested
- Haryana: Shah cancels ITBP event, summons Khattar to Delhi
- Latest: Three people with Irish connections arrested over 39 migrant deaths freed on bail
- Scheer would stop CBSA cancelling arrest warrants for anyone facing deportation: Conservative Party
- Lib Dem humiliation: Remainer Gyimah trounced on Twitter for ‘flip-flop’ Brexit point
- Tropical Storm Nestor cancels some Pinellas County weekend events
- Student leaders rue wasted labour after cancellation of students' union election on their campuses