Deena Shanker, Bloomberg Published 8:17 am PST, Tuesday, November 20, 2018 For the best price on an all-American Thanksgiving dinner, shoppers should head to German-owned grocery stores. The average cost for a Thanksgiving dinner has dropped about 1.5 percent from last year, according to a report from Bloomberg Intelligence, with discount chains Aldi and Lidl offering the best savings of the 15 retailers surveyed. The cheapest dinner, based on a basket of 20 items including a 12-pound turkey, potatoes, corn and green beans, can be purchased at Aldi, for a total of $35.83. Lidl follows at $43.31. For hosts with long guest lists, receipts for warehouse clubs BJ’s, Sam’s Club and Costco are 1.3 percent lower than last year. Adjust for standard supermarket sizes, and all had lower totals than Walmart and Target, whose receipts totaled at $58.94 and $64.97, respectively. Yet while Aldi’s basket cost dropped 14 percent from last year, shoppers at conventional grocery stores are seeing price increases, including by as much as 24 percent at Stop & Shop. Baskets at Walmart are up 7.5 percent. The higher prices are partly driven by inflation in eggs, dairy and some produce, according to the report. Specialty stores also raised… Read full this story
- Anchorage grand jury indicts man in Thanksgiving shooting
- David's guide to surviving Thanksgiving (2019 edition)
- November US consumer prices up 0.3% on rising energy costs
- Aldi is selling a new caramel and hazelnut flavoured rum, perfect for Christmas
- Aldi is selling a chocolate orange rum liqueur for £10
- Alternative activities for Thanksgiving day
- Studies Show That Few People Actually Fight With Family Over Politics On Thanksgiving
- Celery: Behold the heart of Thanksgiving
- At this US farm, turkeys are Thanksgiving guests - not dinner
- Thanksgiving: Gratitude or Gratification?
Thanksgiving dinner costs $23 more at Walmart than at Aldi have 271 words, post on www.sfgate.com at November 20, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.