A NEW history school text book covering the Troubles contains several inaccurate dates for key events including the death of Bobby Sands. Making History, which publishers say “provides everything you need for Junior Cycle History”, contains a chapter on the Troubles with numerous errors. It also makes no mention of the no-warning Dublin and Monaghan bombings, the deadliest atrocity in the Republic. The chapter on the Troubles covers the escalation of violence after October 5 1968 up to the Good Friday Agreement. It includes a “chronological awareness” timeline, which states Bobby Sands died in 1982, the year after his death. In addition, it says the McGurk’s bar bombing in north Belfast, in which 15 people were killed, took place in 1969, and not 1971 when it happened. It further states that the Downing Street Declaration was signed in 1981 – 12 years before it was agreed in 1993. Independent TD Maureen O’Sullivan, a a former history teacher, said she was “very taken aback”. Ms O’Sullivan chairs an unofficial cross-party Dáil committee on the Dublin and Monaghan bombings. “In my teaching days, I would never have come across something like that, that sort of inaccuracy,” she told the Irish Times. She… Read full this story
- Yale quarterback, receivers rewriting school record book
- Camp Fire Contained; Paradise In History Books Even After Drill
- Lucas Moura steps out from the shadows to write himself into Tottenham's history books
- 10 jobs which have disappeared into the history books - How many have you heard of?
- Best books of 2016 – part one
- Readers’ books of the year 2016
- Essential reading: nine experts on the books that inspired them
- The Empire of Necessity: The Untold History of a Slave Rebellion in the Age of Liberty
- Churchill's Bomb: A Hidden History of Science, War and Politics by Graham Farmelo – review
- Top 10 books about spies
School history book contains inaccurate Troubles dates have 304 words, post on www.irishnews.com at November 12, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.