POLITICS 11/24/2018 05:00 am ET A South Bronx school started by a child welfare agency has gradually found answers for educating youth in foster care By Caroline Preston BRONX, N.Y. — Sasha Redlener slipped into a child-sized chair at a table beside first-grader Alyssa. It was midway through a class discussion on safety, with the students at Mott Haven Academy Charter School scratching out answers to questions like, “What does it mean to feel safe?” and “What can you do to help make your school feel safe?” But Alyssa was sticking out her tongue and shimmying in her chair. Redlener asked the girl if she was comfortable at her table. “I’m comfortable,” said Alyssa. “I just have a lot of energy.” “I can see that,” said Redlener, suggesting they visit the water fountain for a quick break. As she escorted Alyssa into the hallway, Redlener’s co-teacher, Carolina Garcia, and Alexa Wernick, one of the school’s family and student specialists, scooted beside other students to coach them on their writing. The goal with Alyssa, as with all her classmates, is to keep her “in the green.” At Haven, a decade-old South Bronx charter school serving roughly 450 kids in pre-K through… Read full this story
- Watch: Kobe Bryant narrates awesome video to teach kids about NBA's past
- High School football Week 6: Live updates from the Inland Empire
- High School football week 3: Live updates from the Inland Empire
- High School football Week 7: Live updates from the Inland Empire
- High School football week 5: Live updates from the Inland Empire
- High School football Week 6: Live updates from Orange County
- Student groups wield brush to give government schools a makeover
- Shawnee Mission East emotional after wrapping up girls swim season
- Athletes at Charlotte school didn't consider themselves leaders. Now, that's changing.
- GAA in Ulster needs greater primary school presence: McCullough
One School's Mission To Teach Kids Whose Lives Have Been Hijacked By Trauma have 309 words, post on www.huffingtonpost.com at November 24, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.