Sections SEARCH Skip to content Skip to site index Politics Subscribe Log In Log In Today’s Paper Politics | On Politics With Lisa Lerer: How to Survive Thanksgiving Supported by ByLisa Lerer Nov. 20, 2018 Hi. Welcome to On Politics, your guide to the day in national politics. I’m Lisa Lerer, your host. Thanksgiving and politics. Oy. Yes, politics has always been intertwined with the most quintessentially American holiday — just ask those turkeys the presidents pardon every year. But in the Trump era, there’s growing evidence that partisanship is having a serious impact on our Thanksgiving Day festivities (see: yesterday’s newsletter). A majority of adults say they “dread the thought of having to talk about politics at Thanksgiving dinner,” according to a poll conducted last year by PBS NewsHour, NPR and Marist. A study published in June found that celebrations were about 30 to 50 minutes shorter for Americans who crossed partisan lines for the holiday than for those who traveled to areas that voted like their own. The impacts were worse in battleground districts: Every 1,000 political ads aired in a specific area correlated to 2.6 minutes off the length of Thanksgiving dinner. That added up to 34… Read full this story
- Recap: The Political Is Personal
- How parents can survive - and even thrive - during the holidays
- From an imaginary restraining order to a phantom drop in NATO spending: Trump makes 99 false claims in two weeks
- House Budget Vote Necessary to the GOP’s Tax-Cut Plans, But It Is By No Means Enough
- Anger, recrimination and bitterness mark a fresh battle for Labour’s soul
- Mark Field: Calls to sack top Tory for grabbing woman's neck at black tie dinner
- Plenty of Denverites are ready to elect a new mayor in 2019. Should Michael Hancock be worried?
- Thousand Oaks shootings: Newsom blames ‘gun culture,’ Feinstein blasts GOP
- Even if austerity is ‘over’, it will be a long road to prosperity for Wigan
- Democratic Debate to Go Forward Amid Progress in Labor Dispute
On Politics With Lisa Lerer: How to Survive Thanksgiving have 322 words, post on www.nytimes.com at November 20, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.