During a fundraiser in Washington D.C., liberal Democratic House candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez called for all fossil fuel production to stop - or else civilization has 12 years left to save the planet from catastrophe.
Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., isn’t an intern.
But she says people keep mistaking her for one.
The 29-year-old liberal firebrand complained on Twitter Wednesday that during her first week on Capitol Hill, she has wrongly been given directions to events for spouses and interns instead of those for lawmakers themselves.
“People keep giving me directions to the spouse and intern events instead of the ones for members of Congress,” she tweeted.
Ocasio-Cortez was elected last week to represent New York’s 14th congressional district. She made headlines over the summer for surprisingly defeating longtime incumbent Democratic Rep. Joseph Crowley in New York’s primary.
After last week’s elections, newly-elected lawmakers arrived on Capitol Hill this week for orientation. On Tuesday, Ocasio-Cortez got attention for joining a protest outside the office of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., to push for congressional action on climate change.
In a tweet Thursday, Ocasio-Cortez grumbled over the reaction to her protest.
“When I respectfully join young people in an action promoting climate action while encouraging leadership decisions, it’s ‘divisive,’” she tweeted.
Fox News’ Andrew O’Reilly contributed to this report.
- Ocasio-Cortez Says She Doesn’t Want To Hear The Term ‘Free Stuff’
- Ocasio-Cortez’s 70 Percent Top Tax Rate Is a Moderate, Evidence-Based Policy
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Slams Fox News for Clothes Criticisms: 'Women Like Me Aren't Supposed to Run for Office—or Win'
- Ocasio-Cortez fires back after Trump brands her a 'Do Nothing Democrat'
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez raises 'unprecedented' $1.4million in reelection funds in just three months - outstripping veterans Nancy Pelosi and Adam Schiff
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib to Endorse Bernie Sanders. Will It Matter?
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Hits Back at GOP Booing: 'Don't Hate Me Cause You Ain't Me, Fellas'
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez suggests dissolving Department Homeland Security
- Ocasio-Cortez knocks Buttigieg: He has adopted a 'GOP talking point' on education
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: "The U.S. is running concentration camps on our southern border"