POLITICS 11/09/2018 05:48 pm ET McBath, a Democrat, defeated Republican incumbent Karen Handel, who famously beat Ossoff in last year’s special election. By Daniel Marans and Sarah Ruiz-Grossman Democrat Lucia “Lucy” McBath won her race for Congress in Georgia’s traditionally Republican 6th Congressional District, the same suburban Atlanta seat where massively funded Jon Ossoff lost a special election just last year. McBath, a gun control advocate, beat Republican incumbent Karen Handel by only a few thousand votes ― with McBath declaring victory Wednesday and Handel conceding Thursday. McBath succeeded thanks foremost to the down-ballot impact of Stacey Abrams’ gubernatorial run, according to Kerwin Swint, a political science professor at Kennesaw State University. “Lucy McBath had the Stacey Abrams energy and turnout and excitement that Ossoff didn’t have,” Swint said. Abrams is locked in a still-too-close-to-call race with Republican Brian Kemp in an election dogged by voter suppression issues. “When the voters of Georgia are allowed to pick their candidate without the interference of vote suppression, Georgians choose leadership that is more reflective … of the people of the state,” said Nse Ufot, the executive director of the New Georgia Project, a nonpartisan nonprofit. “If every vote is allowed to count, we’re going… Read full this story
- Lucy McBath’s Endorsement of Mike Bloomberg Reflects His Unique Appeal
- Georgia’s Extra-Special Election Enters the Final Stretch
- Democratic Hopes Are Sky High in Trump-Testing Georgia Special Election Runoff
- Some issues reported on Georgia voting machines in election
- With Stacey Abrams Taking Her Time, Democrats Eye Backup Georgia Senate Candidate
- Crowded Senate battle in Georgia likely won’t end until 2021
- Homes Under The Hammer star Lucy Alexander announces devastating news
- Who Is the Real Extremist in Georgia’s Governor’s Race?
- Jon Jones Retains UFC Light Heavyweight Championship Against Dominick Reyes
- Abrams Considers Long-Shot Lawsuit As Georgia Prepares to Certify Kemp’s Win
How Lucy McBath Won The Same Georgia District That Jon Ossoff Lost have 315 words, post on www.huffingtonpost.com at November 8, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.