Facebook post by Catholic man from Northern Ireland on why he chose to join the British Army gets massive reaction BelfastTelegraph.co.uk A Catholic man from north Belfast has received a massive online response after going public on his decision to join the British Army 18 years ago. https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/facebook-post-by-catholic-man-from-northern-ireland-on-why-he-chose-to-join-the-british-army-gets-massive-reaction-37512290.html https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/incoming/article37513282.ece/b1bfe/AUTOCROP/h342/Conorsoldier.jpg Email A Catholic man from north Belfast has received a massive online response after going public on his decision to join the British Army 18 years ago. Conor Gerard McKenna (34), who has served in the Royal Irish Regiment since 2000 and now lives in Scotland, explained his reasons in a Facebook post that has attracted thousands of comments and shares. The avid Celtic fan, who served in the second Gulf War as well as here, was too young to join the Irish Defence Forces and decided to enlist in the Royal Irish. But he lost friends as a result, and some family relationships became strained. Some of his relatives were concerned at the implications. But he said that his Protestant-born mother, who is from Glasgow, was more accepting of his choice. Speaking to the Belfast Telegraph, the soldier recalled that growing up close to the Antrim Road was an “interesting”… Read full this story
- Northern Ireland bill - what happens next?
- Nurses' strike NI: Why are Northern Ireland's nurses going on strike?
- Coronavirus: Six more people die in Northern Ireland
- How could Northern Ireland's finance minister raise money?
- Coronavirus: Sixteen confirmed cases in Northern Ireland
- Coronavirus: Six more deaths in Northern Ireland
- Special educational needs: 'Systemic failures' in Northern Ireland
- Northern Ireland is 'best in Europe' at primary maths
- Coronavirus: New Northern Ireland assessment centres open
- Northern Ireland Election Outcome Shows United Ireland Possible - Sinn Fein
Facebook post by Catholic man from Northern Ireland on why he chose to join the British Army gets massive reaction have 312 words, post on www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk at November 10, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.