News / UK by Press Association 09/11/2018, 1:06 pm FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail Send us a story Sign up to our Daily newsletter Declining fertility rates around the world are leading to a “baby bust” in many countries including the UK, health experts have warned. Globally fertility rates, which represent the average number of children a woman delivers over her lifetime, have declined since 1950 and in 91 nations, rates are now not high enough to maintain current population levels. The large-scale study, published in the Lancet, found that in 2017, 91 countries (including the UK, Singapore, Spain, Norway and South Korea) had rates lower than two and were not maintaining their current population size. Meanwhile 104 nations were seeing population increases due to their high fertility rates (rates above two). The lowest rate was in Cyprus where, on average, a woman now gives birth to one child throughout her life, while the highest was in Niger, with a total fertility rate of seven children. The fertility rate in the UK is 1.7, which is similar to most Western European countries. Dr Christopher Murray, director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington, said: “These statistics represent both a… Read full this story
- Fertility apps can be 'misleading' for women, review finds
- America recovers from its great baby recession
- Scientists say some common chemicals could be reducing male fertility worldwide
- Professor who studies phenomenon'of fertility doctors who impregnate their unwitting clients reveals their motivations range from being 'like a rapist's' to a belief they're 'helping desperate patients'
- That pregnancy glow! Sunrise's Edwina Bartholomew cradles her baby bump in a white polka dot dress in a photo shoot for WHO magazine
- Seoul Domestic Economy Issue is 'Fertile Environment' for Spat with Tokyo Over North Korea - Pundit
- EXCLUSIVE 'Our relationship was born in chaos': Vicky Pattison admits she's had her 'fair share of bust-ups' with boyfriend Ercan Ramadan and even his breathing is irritating her in lockdown
- Scientist Who Claims to Have Created CRISPR Babies Under Investigation
- Pregnant Iskra Lawrence showcases her baby bump in black bikini for impromptu garden shoot as her due date inches closer
- Cement industry to see successive decline in demand in FY21: Ind-Ra
Declining fertility rates leading to a ‘baby bust’ have 364 words, post on www.eveningexpress.co.uk at November 9, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.