POLITICS 11/28/2018 05:10 pm ET The Senate has more women than ever, but Hyde-Smith won’t be advancing their cause. By Emily Peck Rooting for gender equality is complicated. Just look at what’s happened in the U.S. Senate. On Tuesday, Republican incumbent Cindy Hyde-Smith won the runoff election for Mississippi’s Senate seat, lifting the number of women who will serve in that chamber in the next term to 24, a record number that’s one more than the current high of 23. It’s not even halfway to equality, but it certainly seems like a win for anyone who is rooting for female representation in politics. The problem is, Hyde-Smith is nearly impossible to root for if you actually care about gender equality. And if you oppose racism and white supremacy, she’s totally off the table, having distinguished herself in her run for Senate by making a racist joke about a public hanging and coming out in support of voter suppression. These remarks would have been offensive on their own but were doubly deplorable considering the context ― she was running against a black man, Mike Espy, in a state haunted by lynchings, Jim Crow and slavery. Hyde-Smith highlights a never-ending tension undergirding the… Read full this story
- Mike Espy, Cindy Hyde-Smith Live Stream, Live Updates As Candidates Debate For Mississippi U.S. Senate Seat
- Mississippi Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith makes joke about "public hanging"
- Will Cindy Hyde-Smith honor refund requests
- Walmart wants donation back after Cindy Hyde-Smith's 'hanging' comment
- Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith jokes about public hanging, Mike Espy fans react
- GOP Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith Just Made A Joke About Public Hangings In Mississippi
- Cindy Hyde-Smith’s Words are Unacceptable
- Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith’s Corporate Donors Want Their Money Back
- Cindy Hyde-Smith Attended an All-White “Segregation Academy”
- Walmart wants its money back from Hyde-Smith
Cindy Hyde-Smith Proves Gender Equality Alone Isn’t Enough For Progress have 295 words, post on www.huffingtonpost.com at November 28, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.