THE Chancellor is poised to bring forward a crackdown on fixed odds betting terminals to April in a humiliating u-turn.
Whitehall sources said the climbdown would be announced later today in a “policy update”.
It follows a huge revolt over Budget Day plans to introduce a cut in the maximum FOBT stake to £2 from £100 next October.
The original announcement sparked the resignation of Sports Minister Tracey Crouch.
The Sun revealed on Monday that over 70 MPs including Boris Johnson were demanding the date be brought forward.
As many as 150 Tories including 12 Ministerial aides and the entire Labour Party planned to back an amendment next week – meaning the Government faced an inevitable defeat.
A source previously told The Sun: “It could even be more.
“There’s support across the House for this.”
Ms Crouch quit as Sports Minister last month in protest at the Treasury refusing to cut the maximum stake on FOBTs from £100 to £2 next April.
The Chancellor revealed an October date in his Budget – and defended the move saying it made “common sense” to give bookies time to adjust.
AND THE BUCHA-REST
Romanian mum allowed to keep UK benefits despite NEVER living here
Snowy weather to hit UK in ‘Beast from the East’ – and it may last until CHRISTMAS
White van man ‘who said girl had nice bum shot dead by her Milky Bar Kid pal’
Cops given 150k to continue hunt for missing Madeleine McCann
Robert Thompson claims murdering James Bulger gave him a better life
Married teacher ‘plagued colleague with 100s of texts after she ended affair’
David, an account, who went to prison after stealing thousands from his employer to the addiction, still fears he could lose his family home over the ordeal.
He said he was “hopeful” MPs would force through the changes, which critics have said would stop the bookies from getting a £900million windfall.
- Effective Goal Setting, Bringing Emotion to Your Goals, Part Two of Three
- Online Football Betting - Some Thoughts
- Football Cashbuilder Review - Is This Football Betting System a Scam?
- Make Money From Soccer Betting
- The Cracking Betting Exchange Tactics on Horse Racing
- The Rise Of Fixed Rate Mortgages
- The Advantages of Placing Football Bet on Betting Exchange
- Odds Comparison - Place Your Bet, Now
- Is Betting on Betfair Asian Handicap a Great Way to Go?
- Understanding Sports Betting Odds - Completely Explained!