Visit The Boston Globe Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Comment on this Scroll to top of page Brian MacQuarrie Globe Staff November 14, 2018 BALTIMORE — Stung by the Vatican’s surprise demand to postpone a long-awaited bishop accountability policy, the nation’s Roman Catholic prelates listened in rapt silence Tuesday as the leader of their own advisory panel on sexual abuse assailed them for doing too little, too late.“The faithful and the clergy do not trust many of you. They are angry and frustrated, no longer satisfied with words and even with prayer,” said Francesco Cesareo, a layman who is the chairman of the National Review Board and president of Assumption College in Worcester, Mass.The unusual public scolding came on a day when more than 200 US bishops, still reeling from the Vatican’s sudden decision, unveiled the accountability proposals they had hoped to adopt this week. Advertisement But instead of taking action, the bishops were left only with words: dismay at the postponement, determination to fix their problems, and even scattered grumblings about the role of civil authorities and the news media in training a spotlight on a church in trouble. Get Metro Headlines in your inbox: The 10 top… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson flies in to France for 'critical' first meeting with Donald Trump
- Is the Catholic Church Turning On Trump? U.S. Bishops Slam Immigration Proposals as 'Discriminatory'
- Chinese Catholics Face ‘Increasing Persecution’ After Vatican Deal, Commission Finds
- Evangelicals Stand by Trump, Catholic Journal Attacks Him
- Melania Trump First Catholic in White House in Decades
- Labour leadership: where do the candidates stand?
- Julie Bishop calls for Australia to ‘show leadership’ on climate change in wake of the bushfire crisis
- Catholics and conservatives accuse Met Gala of cultural appropriation
- San Jose’s Catholic diocese will release names of priests accused of sex abuse
- Meet Team May – an inner circle of ‘doers’ not schmoozers
Catholic prelates are subject of blistering criticism at leadership meeting have 320 words, post on www.bostonglobe.com at November 13, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.