A 24-year-old bicyclist was killed Friday morning after he was struck by a Leicester man driving a dump truck in Cambridge, according to Massachusetts State Police.
The victim, a Cambridge man, was hit by a 2016 Western Star truck before 8:12 a.m. at the intersection of Museum Way and Monsignor O’Brien Highway, near the Museum of Science, police said.
At the scene, troopers found the man suffering from life-threatening injuries, police said in a statement. He was brought to Massachusetts General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
“Preliminary investigation has revealed that the truck was stopped at the intersection of Museum Way and O’Brien Highway, waiting to take a right turn onto Museum Way from O’Brien Highway,” police said. “The bicyclist was also stopped, on the right side of the truck, waiting to take the same turn. When both the truck and bicyclist began to make their right turn, the bicyclist was struck by a tire of the truck.”
Authorities said they will not release the name of the victim until next of kin have been notified. The identity of the 50-year-old driver “will not be released until the investigation determines if charges will be filed,” the statement said.
Details released earlier Friday said the bicyclist was struck by a pickup truck, but police later clarified a dump truck was involved in the crash.
Authorities reduced northbound and southbound traffic to a single lane in each direction on Monsignor O’Brien Highway while on scene. All lanes reopened to traffic at 10:58 a.m. when the crash reconstruction concluded.
State police are continuing to investigate the crash. The Cambridge police and fire departments, the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, and the Massachusetts Department of Transportation assisted officials Friday at the scene.
- ‘This Is Not An Accident’ | Family Of Teen Killed In Baltimore County Blames Street Racing; Police Say Suspect Traveling 116 MPH
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting girl getting off school bus, police say
- 77-year-old school bus driver charged in deadly crash with a dump truck
- Cyclist, 37, who was 'nearly killed' in a horror hit and run near the finish of a 1,000 mile charity bike ride has learned to walk again – just ONE WEEK after leaving intensive care
- Flinders Street driver had history of drug use and mental illness, Melbourne police say after car attack
- Police say death of woman pulled from river was homicide
- North Carolina Man Arrested for Stabbing 71-Year-Old Grandmother to Death, Police Say
- Father kills mother and 3 children in San Diego murder-suicide, police say
- Clark Atlanta University student was strangled by roommate's boyfriend, police say in affidavit
- Florida Man Hurls Caged Chihuahua at Cousin During Argument, Police Say