World Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban is facing backlash over a government decree effectively prohibiting gender studies courses in all universities across the country. Orban’s administration believes the courses are rooted in “ideology,” rather than science. The prestigious Budapest-based Central European University (CEU), which is one of just two Hungarian universities to offer gender studies degrees, has condemned the decision, calling it a “major infringement on academic freedom and university autonomy.” The decree, which was signed by Orban and brought into effect on Saturday, sees gender studies dropped from a list of masters degrees programs entitled to official accreditation and financial support from the government. Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban and German Chancellor Angela Merkel (not pictured) depart after speaking to the media prior to talks at the Chancellery, in Berlin, on May 8. Orban’s government has issued a decree prohibiting gender studies courses at Hungarian universities. Sean Gallup/Getty It also bars schools from starting new courses on the subject, but it does allow students who have already begun such courses to complete them. Deputy Prime Minister Zsolt Semjen asserted that gender studies “has no business [being taught] in universities” because it is “an ideology, not a science,” according to Agence France-Presse…. Read full this story
- Hungary to stop financing gender studies courses: PM aide
- Forget 'manmade': Berkeley bans gender-specific words
- Soros-founded school says forced out of Hungary on "dark day for Europe"
- George Soros's graduate school says it is being forced out of Hungary
- Bosses who do not believe in gender bias seen hiring fewer women
- News Women overlooked, undervalued in medicine, studies say
- Bees: Many British pollinating insects in decline, study shows
- Virtual whale ride helps ease fear of heights: Study
- Finally, study finds gene that lets you eat without gaining weight
- Gloom in the newsroom as Hungary's independent media recedes
Hungary’s Leader Orban Bans Gender Studies in All Universities Because It’s ‘Not a Science’ have 297 words, post on www.newsweek.com at October 17, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.