By Jordan Graham | [email protected] | Orange County RegisterPUBLISHED: October 24, 2018 at 5:59 pm | UPDATED: October 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm A bellwether. The seat that could flip the House. A referendum on the Trump administration. These are all descriptions political pundits have used when talking up the fiery contest to represent Orange County’s 45th Congressional District. The suburban GOP-held seat and former conservative stronghold has become a toss-up this cycle. It’s also a political barometer for something bigger. Voters in the 45th will choose from two vastly different visions of America, picking between candidates who disagree on almost all of nation’s most pressing issues: tax policy, health care, gun control, and the environment. Only two years ago, it seemed unthinkable that two-term incumbent Rep. Mimi Walters (R-Irvine) could be fighting for her political life. The conservative congresswoman was experienced in local and state politics and, despite her brief time in Washington, is an ascendant member of GOP House leadership. But in the past two years the GOP has become the party of Donald Trump. And that, polls suggest, has weakened the GOP’s hold in districts like the 45th, communities where education is high and many Republicans tend to… Read full this story
- Just how obsessed are Swedes with the US election?
- Democrat claims victory in Trump heartland knife-edge election
- Democrat claims victory in election in US Republican stronghold
- US state of Alabama to vote in controversial special election
- Trump blues dim hopes of NAFTA election boost for Mexico rulers
- Dogs like Boo can mean the difference between life and death for veterans
- We look back at the key moments in Meghan Markle’s life through candid pics
- Republicans face first test of tax cuts' power to sway voters
- What is the Confederate flag, why is it considered racist by some and where is it banned?
- Trump morphs campaign slogan for 2020 run: 'Keep America Great!'
Election: Orange County House candidates pitch 2 different American visions in bellwether race have 308 words, post on www.ocregister.com at October 25, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.