Hamza Shaban, The Washington Post Published 2:09 pm PDT, Friday, October 19, 2018 Author Anand Giridharadas sees the disappearance of a U.S.-based Saudi journalist as a dramatic illustration of Silicon Valley’s hypocrisy: While new-age technology companies tout their idealism and world-changing missions, many popular tech firms rely on investments from the government of Saudi Arabia, despite what Giridharadas describes as the kingdom’s barbaric politics and suspected involvement in the alleged assassination of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The alleged murder of Khashoggi at the hands of Saudi agents has ignited a global outrage and entangled the Trump administration in a diplomatic quandary. Turkish and U.S. intelligence officials suspect that Khashoggi, a Washington Post contributing columnist, was killed and dismembered inside the Saudi consulate in Turkey on Oct 2, where he was last seen in public. Saudi leaders deny knowledge of Khashoggi’s disappearance but have pledged to investigate. Last year, Saudi’s state-backed investment vehicle, the Public Investment Fund, announced plans to invest up to $45 billion in a giant technology fund run by Japan’s SoftBank Group. Bolstered by Saudi money, SoftBank has poured significant resources into prominent U.S. start-ups, Giridharadas noted, including Uber, Slack, DoorDash and WeWork. Saudi’s sovereign wealth fund, which manages about…
- Son of Slain Saudi Journalist Khashoggi Claims No Settlement Reached With Riyadh
- Airbus Removes German Parts From Its Plane Amid Berlin’s Saudi Arms Ban – Report
- US Senators Seek to Force Intel Chief to Produce Report on Khashoggi Case
- First Saudi female ambassador assigned in Washington amid deteriorating ties over Khashoggi murder
- Saudi Arabia names princess as new ambassador to the U.S.
- Saudi Arabia Appoints First Female Ambassador to the US
- Saudi princess becomes country's first female ambassador with US role
- Princess named first female Saudi ambassador
- Hedge fund rejects huge Saudi investment over Khashoggi murder
- Kushner meets with Saudi king, crown prince to discuss ‘increasing cooperation’
Anand Giridharadas: The disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi highlights Silicon Valley's Saudi hypocrisy have 306 words, post on at October 19, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.