Sep 18, 7:36 AM EDT Newsletter Signup BusinessTechnologyWorldNationalMedia & CultureOpinionSportsLuxury World By Vaishnavi Vaidyanathan 09/18/18 AT 6:34 AM Yom Kippur, known as a Day of Atonement in the Jewish religion, falls in the month of Tishrei (September or October in the Gregorian calendar). This year, the festival will begin at sundown on Sept. 18 and end at nightfall on Sept. 19.In 2015, the United Nations recognized Yom Kippur as an official holiday. “Yom Kippur is the holiest day of the year for the Jewish people, and the U.N. should have recognized this holiday many years ago. Today we finally have an official place for the Jewish religion in the world’s Parliament,” Israeli Ambassador to the UN Danny Danon had said.Here are some important facts about the holiest day of the Jewish year:1. The Hebrew month begins with Rosh Hashanah (New Year) and ends with Yom Kippur. On this day, Jews atone for their sins from the past year and ask for forgiveness from God and other people.2. The day before Yom Kippur, some Jews symbolically throw their sins away in a practice, called Tashlich, where they go near a waterbody, say prayers and throw bread into the water as a symbol of casting their… Read full this story
- Holocaust Memorial in New York Defaced on Eve of Yom Kippur, Holiest Day for Jews
- A Japanese-Jewish feast for Tsukimi and the High Holy Days
- World Holocaust Forum at Yad Vashem: 'Hatred, anti-Semitism and racism will never win'
- Explosives, Other Weapons Stolen From IDF Base in Northern Israel
- Who killed the 20th century’s greatest spy?
- Yard probes billionaire spy's death
- Trump’s Israel Policies Compared To The Last 12 Presidents
- Transcript: Robert Ashley talks with Michael Morell on "Intelligence Matters"
- Ariel Sharon obituary
- Germany not immune to evil 75 years after Auschwitz liberation, Steinmeier says
When Is Yom Kippur? Facts About The Holiest Day In Jewish Calendar have 291 words, post on www.ibtimes.com at September 18, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.