Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk at Tesla Store opening in Westfield Mall, London, Oct 2013
Tesla and its CEO Elon Musk settled a lawsuit with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Saturday that will result in a $40 million fine and a new chairman of Tesla’s board of directors. The lawsuit was filed after Musk claimed “funding secured” in tweet as he floated the idea of taking the automaker private on Aug. 7.
Tesla will pay a $20 million fine and Musk will pay a $20 million fine as part of the settlement, and Musk will step down as chairman of the board for at least three years, with two new independent directors joining Tesla’s board.
The $40 million penalty will be distributed to investors by a court-approved process that hasn’t been detailed.
Tesla has not released a comment on the settlement.
“The resolution is intended to prevent further market disruption and harm to Tesla’s shareholders,” Steven Peikin, co-director of the SEC’s enforcement division, said in a statement.
It’s unclear if settlement will put restrictions on Musk’s personal tweeting habits.
The U.S. Department of Justice may be investigating Musk separately, but officials haven’t confirmed that investigation.
This story is developing and will be updated.
- Apple's M&A chief reportedly met with Tesla CEO Elon Musk
- Of course Apple's working on electric car, says Tesla chief Elon Musk
- Tesla Acknowledges Alleged Racist Behavior At Company While Defending Elon Musk
- Even Elon Musk Thinks The Robots Are Going To Kill Us All
- Elon Musk Told To ‘Smile A Lot’ In Gigafactory Speech Pep Talk
- How Elon Musk Could Make Billions Of Dollars Off Tesla's New Compensation Plan
- Elon Musk Made Just $70,000 As Tesla CEO Last Year
- Elon Musk One Step Closer To Owning The Sun As Tesla Buys SolarCity For $2.6 Billion
- Tesla Employees Still Love Elon Musk Even After They're Laid Off
- Elon Musk's 'Unprecedented' $2.6 Billion Pay Package Defended By Investors
- Elon Musk: Tesla Autopilot gets full self-driving features in August update
- Elon Musk Gets A Raise… To $37,440 A Year
- Elon Musk Plans To Stay With Tesla For The Long Haul, And Take $0 Home
- Elon Musk's Alleged Response To Tesla Racism Complaints: 'Be Thick-Skinned And Accept Apology': Report (UPDATE)
- Here's How To Fix The Big Problems With Elon Musk's Mars Spaceship
- Trump exits Paris climate deal, Elon Musk leaves councils
- Here's What Flint's Mayor Wants Elon Musk to Do
- This Is The Best Elon Musk Quote Yet
- Elon Musk: We'll have people on Mars by 2025
- Tesla Shareholders Seem Pretty Pissed At Elon Musk
Tesla CEO Elon Musk settles with SEC, fined $40M and will step down as chairman have 426 words, post on www.motorauthority.com at September 29, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.