News / World by Press Association 13/09/2018, 1:54 pm Updated: 13/09/2018, 1:56 pm FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail Send us a story Sign up to our Daily newsletter Outer bands of wind and rain from Hurricane Florence have begun lashing North Carolina as the monster storm moves nearer to the coast. Florence’s top sustained wind speeds dropped from a high of 140mph to 110mph which reduced the hurricane’s power from Category 4 to Category 2. However, forecasters warned the widening storm, and its likelihood of lingering along the coast for several days, raises the risk of surging ocean water and torrential rain. “For a meandering storm, the biggest concern — as we saw with Harvey — is the huge amount of rainfall,” said Chris Landsea, head of tropical analysis and forecast branch at the National Hurricane Centre. As of 8am local time, it was centred about 170 miles east-southeast of Wilmington, North Carolina and about 220 miles east-southeast of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, moving north west at 12mph. Hurricane-force winds were blowing 80 miles from its centre, and tropical storm force winds reached up to 195 miles from the eye. The hurricane centre’s best guess was that Florence’s eye would blow ashore as early… Read full this story
- Hurricane Florence – Millions evacuated, warships ordered out to sea and a state of emergency across four states as catastrophic storm hits
- Hurricane Florence path tracker – the latest path updates as the storm hits South and North Carolina
- 'Tornado' hits Otago as winds and heavy downpours lash parts of New Zealand
- Tropical Storm Lee's Heavy Rain: Blessing or Curse for Gulf Coast?
- Rain, Wind, Sierra Snow: ‘Atmospheric River’ Arrives With Friday Evening Commute
- Wild Wednesday: SES volunteer dies as torrential rain lashes Sydney and surrounds
- Hurricane Humberto Continues Strengthening On Northwest Trek
- Hurricane Humberto Expected To Strengthen
- Tracking The Tropics: Hurricane Humberto & Two Tropical Waves
- Ivory Coast cocoa farmers happy with crop but worried over heat
Rain and wind from Hurricane Florence begin lashing US coast have 302 words, post on www.eveningexpress.co.uk at September 13, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.