New evidence has come to light which points to Gary Speed’s fight with depression dated back more than 25 years.
In 2011 the former Leeds United midfielder was found hanged in his garage by his wife.
Friends and family couldn’t put their finger on why he’d taken his life.
But today a new book titled ‘the untold story by his family’ was published by close friend and journalist John Richardson which revealed how as a teenager he considered ending it all.
While looking for pictures Gary’s wife Louise came across a letter that she had received when Speed was at Leeds United.
In the letter Gary told his schoolgirl sweet heart that he hoped to go to sleep and never wake up. He was just 17 years old when he wrote the letter.
Richardson sees the letter as a sign that the former Sheffield United player had been dealing with depression since his time at Elland Road.
An inquest into Gary’s death said he didn’t commit suicide but it could have been a dramatic gesture.
For more information or if you know of anyone who would like advice or support about a mental health problem, you can visit any of the following websites:
- Gwyneth's secret war on Weinstein: For years, the showbiz world has asked why she stayed silent about the man who helped her win an Oscar — but once made advances to her. Now, a new book reveals the extraordinary truth
- Barry and Honey Sherman: New book reveals troubled police probe into murder mystery
- All Mike Pence Wants Is a Kiss From Mother, New Book Reveals
- Lance Armstrong doped in front of ex-girlfriend Sheryl Crow, new book reveals
- New numbers reveal 2016 was Toronto’s deadliest year for pedestrians in at least a decade
- 25 Ways a Single Mom can Fight Depression
- Sydney in the grips of the city's steepest downturn in house prices for 25 years - and experts say it will get WORSE before it gets better
- ISIS' hidden treasure: Al-Baghdadi's adviser reveals that the terrorists buried $25 million in the Iraqi desert and most of it was found by shepherds
- 'It's been the hardest period of my life': Reece Hawkins, 24, reveals he is on antidepressants... a year after his split from fiancée Tammy Hembrow, 25
- Jerry Remy Opens Up About Career, Personal Struggles In New Book