World International Affairs The Vietnamese government has jailed 12 members of an U.S.-based anti-communist group with roots stretching back to the Vietnam War. Those convicted include two American citizens—Nguyen James Han and Phan Angel—both of whom were sentenced to 14 years in jail. They will be deported to the U.S. upon completion of their terms, CNN reported. All 12 were accused of “anti-state” activities as members of the Provisional National Government of Vietnam (PNGV), which is headquartered in California. They were alleged to have plotted to bomb Tan Son Nhat International Airport in Ho Chi Minh City, also known as Saigon. U.S. citizen James Nguyen is escorted by police to a court before his trial in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, on August 21, 2018. REUTERS/Stringer Recommended Slideshows 76 The Most Powerful Military Forces in the World 59 The 25 Most Powerful Passports in the World 61 Every World Press Photo Winner Ever: 60 Images That Define Our World Vietnam remains a one-party state under the authoritarian Communist Party of Vietnam, though recent years have seen the regime embrace a free-market economy. But political dissenters still face harsh repression. The PNGV was formed in the early 1990s by former soldiers and… Read full this story
- Labour says there's not 'clear evidence' to ban Hezbollah as a terror group
- EXCLUSIVE: Iranians Posing As Anti-Immigrant Americans Online
- Five Labour members could face CRIMINAL charges for anti-Semitism including branding Jews a 'cancer on us all', reveals Met Police chief Cressida Dick after force hands files over to CPS
- Pinkerton: What Trump Might Have Learned from Richard Nixon: Vietnam Then, Iran Now
- What We Know About the Southern California Synagogue Shooting
- 'What's going to happen to me now?': Jailed Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe fears killing of Qassem Soleimani will bring fresh charges and longer sentence in Iranian jail
- Turkey sentences German taxi driver for spreading 'terrorism propaganda'
- 10 Indian ‘Widows’ of Killed Daesh Terrorists Held in Kabul Jail
- Maharashtra State Chief Compares Delhi University Violence to 2008 Mumbai Terror Attack
- California sues Silicon Valley billionaire over Martins Beach public access
Vietnam Jails American Members of California-Based Anti-Communist Terror Group have 332 words, post on www.newsweek.com at August 23, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.