England have called up uncapped batsman Ollie Pope, who is playing for England Lions against India A at Worcester, in place of Dawid Malan for the second Test against India at Lord’s Cricket Ground starting on Thursday. The 20-year-old Pope is the second highest run-scorer in County Championship Division One this season, with 684 at an average of 85.50. Malan, with scores of eight and 20 in Birmingham, leaves Test cricket for now with an average of 27.84 from his 15 Tests, with a notable high of an Ashes hundred on the recent tour of Australia.
— England Cricket (@englandcricket) August 5, 2018
Chris Woakes replaces fellow all-rounder Ben Stokes, who faces a court hearing this coming week in Bristol.
“Ollie Pope has made an exceptional start to his first-class career. He has reached a 1000 first-class runs in just 15 matches and is the first division’s stand-out batsman this season with 684 runs at 85. The selection panel believe that Ollie’s performances and character suggest he is well suited to international cricket,” National Selector Ed Smith said.
“Dawid Malan drops out of the squad for Lord’s. Dawid has not found his best rhythm this season, and it may be that his game is better suited to overseas conditions.
“Ben Stokes is unavailable, but Chris Woakes, with some extra matches and practices under his belt, can now return to the England squad after injury.”
England completed a thrilling 31-run win the first Test to take a 1-0 lead in the five-match series at Edgbaston on Saturday.
Squad: Joe Root (c), Moeen Ali, Jimmy Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler, Alastair Cook, Sam Curran, Keaton Jennings, Ollie Pope, Jamie Porter, Adil Rashid, Chris Woakes
- New Zealand vs England: Ben Stokes, Joe Denly Take England To 241/4 On Day 1 Against New Zealand
- HIghlights India vs England, 5th Test, Day 5 Full Cricket Score and Results: England beat India by 118 runs to secure 4-1 finish
- India vs England, 5th Test: James Anderson becomes Test cricket’s most successful fast bowler
- How Twitter Reacted To Ben Stokes' Heroics In Third Ashes Test
- New Zealand vs England, 1st Test, Day 1: Denly, Stokes help visitors make solid start
- New Zealand vs England: BJ Watling Double-Ton, Mitchell Santner Heroics Put New Zealand In Control Against England
- New Zealand vs England: Watling century helps New Zealand into lead
- Ben Stokes and Joe Denly lead the way as England close on 241-4 in hard-fought day one in New Zealand
- Ben Stokes is ‘a bit of a freak’, says New Zealand player after all-rounder torments Kiwis again
- Ashes hero Ben Stokes says his 'brilliant' wife is his secret weapon after big win
- Ben Stokes: Video shows England Test cricket vice-captain throwing punches in Bristol brawl
- England’s ‘freak’ Ben Stokes the wicket New Zealand want, says Neil Wagner
- England cricket star Ben Stokes found not guilty of affray
- New Zealand vs England, 1st Test, Day 4: Watling's double, Santner's triple leave visitors reeling
- New Zealand vs England 1st Test: Preview, match timing, squads and where to watch
- India vs Bangladesh: Rahul Dravid Feels "Pink Ball Test Can Become Annual Feature In India"
- ICC World Cup 2019: India Vs Australia: Did Adam Zampa use something from his pocket to rub on the ball?
- India vs Bangladesh: Mohammad Shami gave me bowling tips after Indore Test, reveals pacer Abu Jayed
- Ben Stokes Not Guilty Of Affray After Fight Outside Bristol Club
- Ben Stokes Has Been Punished Enough, Says Michael Vaughan
India vs England: Ben Stokes Misses Out, Dawid Malan Dropped For Lord's Test have 756 words, post on sports.ndtv.com at August 5, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.