Tony Cook Indianapolis Star
Published 8:03 p.m. UTC Jul 10, 2018
Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry will steer clear of the investigation of groping allegations against Indiana Attorney General Curtis Hill.
Citing legal entanglements between the two offices, Curry said he has asked for a special prosecutor to handle any potential case involving Hill.
Curry said at a news conference Tuesday that state law requires the attorney general to represent county prosecutors in any civil litigation filed against them. For that reason, Curry said it would be a conflict for him to serve as a prosecutor in any potential case against Hill.
“When the information came to light, I had no doubt whatsoever that we could not be involved,” Curry said.
A lawmaker and three legislative staffers have accused Hill, a Republican, of inappropriately touching them at an Indianapolis bar in March.
Hill has repeatedly denied any inappropriate behavior and pledged to stay in office.
The allegations, shared with top Indiana lawmakers during a May investigation, became public last Monday when the contents of a confidential legislative memo were published by IndyStar.
The disclosure led Gov. Eric Holcomb and top Republicans at the Statehouse to call for Hill’s resignation. They also asked Indiana Inspector General Lori Torres to open an investigation.
Hill has criticized those actions and questioned the objectivity of an inspector general investigation, noting that Torres, the state’s top ethics watchdog, was appointed by Holcomb.
He also has questioned the objectivity of an inspector general investigation, noting that Torres, the state’s top ethics watchdog, was appointed by Holcomb.
Instead, Hill called on Friday for Curry’s office to investigate the allegations.
Curry’s office has said previously it has not opened an investigation because no law enforcement agency had presented a case. If it was presented with a case, Curry would have to recuse himself because of his office’s relationship with the attorney general’s office.
- George Zimmerman Depicts Special Prosecutor In "Angie" Painting
- Tyreek Hill to meet with NFL Special Counsel for Investigations
- CONFIRMED: Obama illegally spied on Americans… no one in the media calls for any investigation at all
- Details emerge on Tyreek Hill's meeting with NFL
- NFL declines to punish Chiefs WR Hill
- Chiefs WR Hill leaves practice, diagnosed with bruise
- Police Investigating Porn Video Playing on I-75 Billboard
- Chiefs' Hill denies assault in new audio excerpt
- Federal Investigation Into Chipotle
- Davieon Gambo, Jurupa Hills football hold off Arlington