Jul 08, 11:54 AM EDT Newsletter Signup BusinessTechnologyWorldNationalMedia & CultureOpinionSportsLuxury World By David Brunnstrom 07/08/18 AT 11:17 AM HANOI - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Sunday urged North Korea to follow the example of Vietnam, saying President Donald Trump believed Pyongyang could replicate Hanoi’s path to normal relations with Washington and to prosperity.But for that to happen, its leader Kim Jong Un needed to seize the moment.Speaking to business executives in the Vietnamese capital Hanoi, Pompeo said he hoped the United States could one day share the same level of partnership with North Korea as it did with Vietnam, a long-time former enemy.His comments followed two days of frosty talks in Pyongyang aimed at persuading Kim to give up nuclear weapons, which prompted North Korean accusations he had used “gangster-like” diplomacy.Pompeo said on Sunday that, on the heels of those talks, Trump believed North Korea could replicate the path taken by Vietnam, whose leaders had realized their country could reform and build relationships without threatening its sovereignty and form of government.He said the key to Vietnam’s rise was post-Vietnam War engagement with the United States, which began in 1985, when the countries started working together to repatriate remains of U.S. service members lost in Vietnam. Visitors’ shadows… Read full this story
- Nuclear war with North Korea not 'imminent,' Trump administration officials say
- North Korea to restart nuclear reactor able to generate bomb-grade plutonium
- Russia's boost in trade with North Korea worries U.S.
- Marine Corps Gen. Joseph Dunford warns North Korea that U.S. military is 'ready'
- Trump's Asia trip includes stops in China and South Korea, as tensions with North Korea escalate
- As China pulls trade from North Korea, Russia gets cozy with Kim Jong Un
- Satellite image suggests North Korea has restarted Yongbyon nuclear reactor: U.S. group
- Here’s just how risky it is to fight North Korea
- North Korea's hostile outbursts could strengthen U.S.-China relations
- South Korea president open to sending special envoy to North Korea
Pompeo: Vietnam 'Miracle' Can Show North Korea Path To Peace And Prosperity have 330 words, post on www.ibtimes.com at July 8, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.