MEXICO CITY —Angry and frustrated over corruption and violence, Mexican voters delivered a tidal wave presidential election victory to leftist Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, giving him a broad mandate to upend the political establishment and govern for the poor.An official quick count from electoral authorities late Sunday forecast that Lopez Obrador would win with between 53 percent and 53.8 percent of the votes, a remarkable margin not seen in the country for many years. Early Monday, with about 20 percent of the votes counted, Lopez Obrador’s advantage was close to the quick count’s statistical sample.A prominent exit poll predicted his party allies were poised to score big victories in congressional races, possibly winning absolute majorities in the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies.Lopez Obrador, who campaigned on vows to transform Mexico and oust the “mafia of power” ruling the country, rode widespread voter anger and discontent with the governing Institutional Revolution Party, or PRI, of President Enrique Pena Nieto and had led opinion polls since the beginning of the campaign.The PRI, which dominated Mexican politics for nearly the entire 20th century and recaptured the presidency in 2012, was set to suffer heavy losses not just for the presidency but in… Read full this story
- Drug cartels are murdering their way into Mexico’s gas industry
- Mexico's President-Elect Obrador Stuck For Hours on Commercial Flight After Vowing to Sell Presidential Plane
- Despite flight delay, Mexico's president-elect still wants to sell government jet
- Ban on Recreational Marijuana Unconstitutional Says Mexico's Supreme Court, Opening Path to Legalization
- Women in Mexico Face Increasing Violence—Will a Wave of Women in Government Change That?
- Mexico referendum cancels partly built $13 billion airport
- Mexico Moves Toward Major Rollback of Marijuana Prohibition
- US, Mexico Reach New Trade Agreement
- U.S. and Mexico Agree to Preliminary Nafta Deal
- Mexico, U.S. likely 'hours' away from NAFTA agreement
Mexico: Leftist Lopez Obrador ousts 'power mafia' in big presidential win have 302 words, post on www.ibtimes.co.uk at July 2, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.