Looters pillaged burned and vandalized shops in Haiti’s capital Sunday following two days of violent protests over the government’s attempt to raise fuel prices. Journalists saw young men stripping shelves bare in some supermarkets that were charred from the protests. Several bodies lay among the debris scattered in the streets. With the situation still chaotic, the U.S. Embassy in Port-au-Prince on Sunday warned U.S. citizens to shelter in place. It noted that many flights were canceled and said, “The airport has limited food and water available.” Passengers traveling to and from Haiti from the United States are currently on standby, as some airlines have canceled flights due to demonstrations on the streets of Port-au-Prince. Haiti Suspends Fuel Price Hike After Protesters Riot Protesters in Haiti are burning tires, blocking major intersections and destroying businesses. Oppositions groups are rioting in the streets in response to Friday’s announcement from their government about increased gasoline prices. Under the new proposed prices, a liter of regular gas would cost nearly $5. The fuel hike was scheduled to take effect Saturday. The second day of civil unrest caused U.S. airlines to cancel all of their flights to Haiti on Saturday. Both Jet Blue and Spirit… Read full this story
- Hong Kong flights cancelled again as Carrie Lam warns protests are pushing city 'into the abyss'
- Coronavirus cashback: How you can get refunds for flights, concert tickets, hotels and cruises cancelled by the killer virus - but there is NOTHING you can do if shops hike their prices
- Hong Kong gives $1,300 spending money to ALL 7million adults to boost economy after coronavirus and months of protests
- Maharashtra protests: Airlines waive cancellation charges
- Protesting Against Jamia Crackdown, JNU Students Call for Overnight Stir; Thousands Gather at Delhi Police HQ
- Some say will protest from balconies against NRC, NPR, CAA during Janata curfew
- NRC, CAA protesters to shift to balconies during Janata Curfew
- Janata curfew: Will protest against NPR, NRC and CAA from balconies, says civil society group United Against Hate
- Spain coronavirus – How to get a refund on your holiday as Tui and Jet2 cancel hundreds of flights
- Qantas, Jetstar flight cuts amid the coronavirus pandemic and how they will affect you
Looting Follows Protests in Haitian Capital; Flights Canceled Around U.S. have 361 words, post on www.nbcmiami.com at July 8, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.