THIS weekend sees the arrival of Father’s Day – that annual event when dads get the rare chance to be spoiled. We’ve already celebrated our mums this year with Mothering Sunday, and dad’s special day is on Sunday June 17! Here’s all you need to know… What is the history of Father’s Day? Father’s Day is rumoured to have started when a young woman wanted to honour her war hero dad. In May 1909, Sonora Dodd sat in church listening to a moving Mother’s Day sermon. She then decided she wanted to designate a special day just for her dad, William Jackson Smart. Dodd’s mother had died in childbirth and her Civil War veteran dad had raised five kids on his own. The following year, she wanted to celebrate Father’s Day on June 5th, her father’s birthday. She even and petitioned for the holiday to be recognised in her hometown of Spokane, Washington, Needing more time to arrange the festivities, Spokane’s mayor pushed the date back by two weeks. The first Father’s Day was celebrated on June 19, 1910, according to Spokane Regional Visitor Bureau. Why do we celebrate Father’s Day on different dates around the world? Other countries around the… Read full this story
- Fathers Day-You Never Know How Much You Love Someone Till Their Gone-Dads Who Couldn't Stick Around
- Fathers Day - How Do Fathers Help You To Grow? Happy Fathers Day To All Of Our Fathers
- Fathers Day Around the World
- Fathers Day Gifts Sure To Please Your Dad
- Why Student Day Should Be More Widely Celebrated
- Two Very Different Celebrations of Light - part 1 Hindu Diwali
- Christmas in Japan - A Unique & Different Celebration - A Day for Romantics!
- Public Speaking: From Trainer to Speaker - A World of Difference
- Saying "Happy Father's Day" in Different Languages
- A Father's Day Memory
When is Father’s Day 2018 around the world, why do the dates differ and what are the celebration’s origins? have 306 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at June 14, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.