President Donald Trump delivered a strong support for the National Rifle Association at its annual meeting on Friday, as gun-rights advocates regroup in the wake of the mass shooting at a Florida high school. Trump’s address in Dallas was his fourth in a row to the group’s annual convention. The NRA spent $30 million in support of Trump’s 2016 campaign, lending him credibility with some conservatives. “You give your time, your energy, your vote and your voice to stand strong for those sacred rights given to us by God, including the right to self-defense,” Trump told the group’s members. “And now thanks to your activism and dedication you have an administration fighting to protect your Second Amendment.” But the Parkland, Florida shooting, which left 17 high school students and school employees dead and galvanized gun-control advocates, led Trump to consider supporting firearms restrictions the NRA has long opposed, including expanded background checks. That flirtation didn’t last long. Under pressure from the NRA’s leaders and its allies in Congress and within the White House, he fell back in line and hasn’t taken on the gun group. He pivoted from weighing limits on gun sales to encouraging teachers to arm themselves –… Read full this story
- Watch the priceless reactions from Democrats during Trump's gun-control meeting
- Trump had a 'Great' surprise meeting with the NRA, who said he backed off his stunning embrace of gun control
- Trump touts 'great' meeting with the NRA hours after Fox News' Tucker Carlson sniped at him for his embrace of gun control
- Watch the priceless reactions from US Democrats during Trump's gun-control meeting
- As Trump Embraces More Tariffs, US Business Readies Public Fight
- Months after Parkland shooting, Trump to embrace NRA in rally-like speech
- Trump's NRA address comes after zigzag on gun-control policy
- Trump's supporters can't decide whether he's flip-flopping on gun control or playing the 'long game'
- More than a dozen companies have cut ties with the NRA -- and pro-gun rights activists are furious
- Hundreds of thousands of protestors in Washington take aim at politicians and the NRA to end gun violence
Trump Embraces the NRA, Abandoning Flirtation With Gun Control have 342 words, post on www.newsmax.com at May 3, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.