For all that has changed in the 16 months since Serena Williams last played in a Grand Slam tournament — she is now married and a mother — so much was familiar about her at the French Open on Tuesday. The fashion statement, this time in the form of a black bodysuit with a red waistband. The cries of “Come on!” The big serve that provided 13 aces. The return game that produced three consecutive breaks of serve. And, yes, the victory. Competing as a mom for the first time at a major, and only about nine months since giving birth to her daughter, Williams beat 70th-ranked Kristyna Pliskova of the Czech Republic 7-6 (4), 6-4 at Roland Garros. “I’m just happy to win a match here,” Williams told the crowd in Court Philippe Chatrier. “I’m just happy to take it a day at a time.” Celebs in the Stands: Freed Meek Mill at 76ers Win Drew Hallowell/Getty Images The 36-year-old American had not played in one of tennis’s biggest tournaments since the Australian Open in January 2017, when she won her 23rd Grand Slam title. That broke a tie with Steffi Graf for the most in the Open era…. Read full this story
- Serena Williams has a blast sledding on fake snow in Florida as daughter Olympia, three, gives her a push down the slope
- Serena Williams displays her toned figure while watching daughter Olympia run down stunning private pier
- Serena Williams tells McEnroe 'respect my privacy' after men's ranking views
- Serena Williams jokes about 'the new normal' for kids games as she plays 'COVID test' with daughter Olympia
- Serena Williams’ Husband Blasts Former Tennis Pro for ‘Racist’ Weight Criticism
- Bob Brett, coach to Grand Slam tennis champions, dead at 67
- Serena Williams' husband unleashes on Madrid Open owner after 'racist/sexist' tirade
- Serena Williams' Husband Rips 'Racist/Sexist Clown' Billionaire Over Criticism
- Throwback 2020: Thiem breaks 'Big Three' hold on Grand Slams
- Serena Williams reveals dramatic New Year fail - and you won't believe it!
Serena Williams Wins First Grand Slam Since Baby have 325 words, post on www.nbcmiami.com at May 29, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.