WE’RE all familiar with the sight of the long-limbed creatures in our bathrooms and kitchens. But what exactly are daddy long-legs? Do they bite? And how can you discourage them from invading your home? Here’s the lowdown… Are daddy long-legs really spiders? The answer is actually more complex than you may have thought. While the common English creature commonly referred to as a daddy long-legs is in fact NOT a spider – it is an insect because it has six legs – there is another type of spider that is sometimes wrongly referred to as a daddy long-legs. Brits generally use the word daddy long-legs to refer to craneflies – long-legged winged insects which are not spiders. The main use of the American word daddy long-legs is in fact an Opilione arachnid, known formally as harvestman. They’re not spiders, although they look very similar. Finally, the house spider Pholcus phalangioides is also frequently referred to as a daddy long-legs, although this is a very colloquial use of the word. Are daddy long-legs poisonous? Craneflies and Opiliones, aka harvestmen, are not venomous at all and don’t pose any threat to humans. The daddy long-legs from the spider family, Pholcus phalangioides, does have venom glands,… Read full this story
- Q: I'm embarrassed to bare my legs. How can I get rid of my unsightly veins and prevent them from coming back?
- Why You Should Be Happy If You Have A Cellar Full Of Spiders
- False widow spider infestation forces several London schools to shut
- Flea Bites vs. Bed Bug Bites: Symptoms and Differences Between These Common Pests
- Flea Bites vs. Bed Bug Bites: Symptoms, Health Risks and Prevention Tips
- Spider bite led to leg being amputated, woman says
- Pelican Spiders Are the Weirdest-Looking Assassins You'll Ever See
- Varicose Vein Free Legs for this Summer
- 7 Most Effective Ways to Get Rid of Itchy Mosquito Bites ASAP
- How to Get Rid of Mosquito Bites ASAP
Are daddy long-legs actually spiders, are they venomous, do they bite and how do you get rid of them? have 315 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at May 30, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.