WASHINGTON — From his dairy farm in southeastern Nebraska, lifelong Republican Ben Steffen believed Donald Trump meant what he said on the campaign trail about ripping up U.S. trade agreements.So Steffen, who produces milk, beef, soybeans, corn and wheat, wasn’t shocked when Trump pulled America out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership pact, began renegotiating NAFTA or announced his intent to impose aluminum and steel tariffs on China that have drawn the threat of retaliatory sanctions on American products.But he is alarmed about the potential costs of Trump’s trade agenda to his own operation and the state’s economy.”This kind of chaotic volatility in our trading relationships damages the market,” Steffen, who runs the farm with his wife, his sister and four full-time employees, said in a telephone interview with NBC News. “The market responds and the prices are erratic and that’s destabilizing for people out here on the bottom end producing feed and food.”RELATED: Unemployment in rural America: 8 PHOTOS Unemployed in rural America See Gallery Unemployed in rural America SCHUYLKILL HAVEN, PA – AUGUST 14: Kim Foss, 28, passes by a Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump sign as she packs up her car on August 14, 2016 in Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania…. Read full this story
- GOP lawmaker 'heartbroken' over Trump's Syria moves and no longer supports him
- Trump economic agenda likely checked by Democratic election gains
- Trump's UN ambassador pick will show whether Pompeo and Bolton are taking control of foreign policy
- US midterm elections live: Donald Trump congratulates himself on 'Big Win'
- Trump ramps up divisive rhetoric as Democrats expect they'll win House
- 2018 US Midterms: Why Trump Says They Were a 'Tremendous Success'
- Trump's worst traits are on show as he faces big test in midterms
- Trump BANS CNN reporter Jim Acosta from White House after calling him ‘rude, terrible person’ in fiery clash
- Donald Trump brands CNN reporter ‘rude, terrible person’ as they clash at fiery press conference
- Here are the most common reasons Republicans use to defend Trump against impeachment
GOP faces rural rebellion over Trump trade agenda have 326 words, post on www.nbcnews.com at April 21, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.