0 Have your say IF you want to teach a young girl to play Clair de Lune, must she first learn how to build a piano? It is exactly the same with computer programming. The emphasis should be on the potentially great practical applications you can create from the code.Instead, schools, companies and Government organisations are rolling out all sorts of coding initiatives across the land. However well intentioned, teaching young people how to write Scratch, HTML or CSS is not the answer to the skills shortage in our fast-growing technology sector, nor to the many problems facing humankind at this stage of history. Many of the skills they acquire will be rendered obsolete by automation by adulthood.Machines are gobbling up human tasks like Pacman and code creation will soon be the preserve of artificial intelligence. Creativity offers the only solution. It gives us the ability to control and make sense of the billions of pieces of new information being created every moment in this new stage of the digital age. Teaching computing cannot be about memorisation and recall. We should be focusing on data science and encouraging young people to think about how to solve real-world problems.These might include… Read full this story
- A new generation takes on downtown development
- David Graeber's new book 'Bullshit Jobs: A Theory' calls time on your career
- Train Delays, the New Subway Plan and the Perception of Time
- Young Jewish Professionals (YJP) to Host Flagship Real Estate Deal-Makers Conference in New York City
- Afghan Girl Coders Are Designing Brilliant Games To Fight Opium And Inequality
- Meghan Markle did her wedding her way, bringing a new era to the 1,000-year-old royal family
- Is someone else making money on your computer?
- Evanoff: Jim Strickland says we grew. Richard Smith says we stalled. Both are right
- When TNC, Canon collaborated to inspire, empower photographers
- Likeable Richard is on a mission to entertain
David Richards: Inspiring a new generation of computer coders have 310 words, post on www.yorkshirepost.co.uk at April 8, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.