LONDON—Prince Harry and his fiancee, Meghan Markle, will open up the grounds of Windsor Castle for their May wedding to 2,640 people from all walks of life to help them celebrate their big day, Kensington Palace said Friday.
The guests, who will come from across the United Kingdom, will be able to watch the bride and groom arrive and be in a prime location to see their carriage procession after the May 19 ceremony.
The number does not include those invited to the ceremony at the castle’s St. George’s Chapel, which seats about 800.
“Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle have said they want their Wedding Day to be shaped so as to allow members of the public to feel part of the celebrations too,” the palace said in a statement. “This wedding, like all weddings, will be a moment of fun and joy that will reflect the characters and values of the Bride and Groom.”
About 1,200 of those invited will be members of the general public. Around 200 will represent charities and other organizations supported by the couple, with local schoolchildren, residents of Windsor and members of the Royal Household making up the balance.
Harry and Markle, an American actress, will marry at noon in St. George’s Chapel, the 15th- century church on the grounds of Windsor Castle that has long been the backdrop of choice for royal occasions.
The couple have said they were “hugely grateful” for the many good wishes they have received and that they wanted to have the public join in to enjoy their special day.
- Jennifer Lawrence Refused a Date With Prince Harry?
- Is Princess Charlotte sporting Prince George's $35 sneakers in birthday photos?
- Behind the lens with a paparazzi prowling L.A. for celebrity prey
- Priyanka Chopra spills Sophie Turner, Joe Jonas' Las Vegas wedding secrets: 'It was epic'
- Interview: Jerry Bruckheimer on Game Development, Prince of Persia, Why Movie Games Fail
- How social media has changed what it means to be a celebrity
- Miss Netiquette’s guide to Facebook
- Great Loves
- Facebook-themed engagement photos and other social media inspirations
- Analysis: The heroine's journey
- EA announces giant line-up for Studio Showcase
- Portal 2 releases – Unreview, uninterview, unstudiovisit Portal 2 Q&A with Erik Wolpaw and Josh Weier
- Miss Netiquette’s guide to Twitter
- Sleeping Dogs Favors Guide
- Visions of India: how film and TV romanticises life after the Raj
- Challenge: The Automyth, Or Automated Monomyth
- Ubisoft, please put my dad in Far Cry 5
- Here are the 10 most expensive cars in the world that you wish you could afford
- The best sidequests in PC gaming
- OPINION Jackson Memorial Brought Out Worst in Networks, Best in Web
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle invite 2,640 people to celebrate wedding have 497 words, post on www.thestar.com at March 2, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.