By The Associated Press | March 13, 2018 at 6:00 am Editor’s note: This is part of a package of stories marking Sunshine Week, during which the media assesses the status of the free press in the U.S. Coming this week: SUNDAY: The California Legislature created one open records law for state and local governments, the California Public Records Act, and a totally different law for themselves, the Legislative Open Records Act. MONDAY: Journalists beware! The internet has become a burgeoning forum for phony news, shady online ads and posts, intricately coordinated smear campaigns and Russian disinformation plots. TODAY: President Trump’s campaign to discredit the news media and dismiss critical reporting has spread throughout the political landscape. Officials at all levels of government are now using the term “fake news” as a weapon against unflattering stories. WEDNESDAY: The state of press freedoms in the U.S., based on an annual survey by the Newseum’s First Amendment Center. — By RYAN J. FOLEY, Associated Press An Idaho state lawmaker urges her constituents to submit entries for her “fake news awards.” The Kentucky governor tweets #FAKENEWS to dismiss questions about his purchase of a home from a supporter. An aide to the Texas land… Read full this story
- Media Trying to Create Trump-Barr Tension with Fake News Claiming AG Mulling Resignation
- Trump Slams Media Over ‘Fake News’ Border Wall Report
- Baroness Scotland accuses Boris Johnson of 'fake news'-style attempt to undermine her and vows to keep her job after Prime Minister axes £4.7million annual grant to the Commonwealth Secretariat
- The future of fake news: Can you tell a real video from a deepfake?
- Malaysian government calls for 10-year jail sentence for 'fake news'
- EU tells social media giants to combat fake news or face new regulations
- Trump's Fake News Awards: Newsweek Clinches 8th Place, But The President Misses Even More Critical and Longer Stories
- Herders/farmers clashes, killings are being fuelled by fake news – Lai Mohammed
- Malaysia's new law against 'fake news' snares second opposition leader ahead of elections
- Fake news: Ask Nigerians for forgiveness, PDP counsels APC, FG
Mimicking Trump, local officials use ‘fake news’ as a weapon have 350 words, post on www.dailynews.com at March 13, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.