BYU law school is addressing the “debt collection epidemic” in Utah by launching a new online tool.The project, called SoloSuit, is the first designed by LawX, BYU Law’s legal design lab.“Early in the semester, we realized that debt collection was a legal crisis in Utah,” said Kimball Dean Parker, LawX co-founder and class instructor, in a press release. He said that in the last five years, debt collectors filed over 330,000 lawsuits in Utah and that more than 98 percent of those sued did not hire an attorney. In some years, more than 80 percent of those sued failed to respond and lost their cases, regardless of their merits.In an attempt to ameliorate this problem, LawX sought to design a potential online solution.“SoloSuit provides a simple platform for debtors to respond to a lawsuit in as little as 10 minutes,” Parker said.The public-facing web application asks a series of questions about the complaint filed against a self-represented litigant and his or her knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the claim. With that information, the program creates a written response to use in court.While using a modern approach, the project came up against antiquated rules. In Utah, only attorneys are allowed to… Read full this story
- President Trump’s Vigorous Fight Against Online Sex Trafficking Is A Very Good Start
- Cloud tools becoming popular with more employees
- Support for jobs, SMEs amid epidemic
- Coronavirus Battle in China: What effect is the epidemic likely to have on China's economy?
- How to take years off your credit card balance by increasing payments by just £1 a day
- Monetary policy vital to limit economic shocks from epidemic
- What to do if your credit card lender asks you to pay off more of your debts
- Death toll from new coronavirus set to surpass SARS, as China's fatalities above 700
- NEW Free Online Parent Drug Prevention Training Program
- Services Australia 'legal privilege' robo-debt claim refused by Senate committee
BYU Law takes on 'debt collection epidemic' with new online tool have 315 words, post on www.abajournal.com at January 24, 2018. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.