It’s tough to maintain a healthy national economy when most banks on the planet won’t accept your business. That’s the dilemma facing North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, as mounting economic sanctions cut his country out of the world economy. To stave off the looming financial crisis, Kim has turned to what may be the nation’s best hope: Bitcoin. SEE ALSO: Could Bitcoin’s secretive creator become the world’s first trillionaire? The popular cryptocurrency is attractive because of its decentralized nature. Rather than relying on banks or individual governments, bitcoin (and other cryptocurrency) is built on a distributed network of users controlling verified transactions. It’s “internet money,” essentially, uncontrollable by any single actor. There’s no comprehensive accounting of just how much Bitcoin North Korea holds, but its recent exploits have shown a consistent interest in the cryptocurrency. There’s even some evidence that North Korea has started mining their own Bitcoin. When you’re the leader of a heavily sanctioned country, then, loading up on decentralized currency is particularly attractive. It gives you some liquidity without having to rely on banks that either can’t do business with you, legally, or that may be in a position to freeze your assets at a later date,… Read full this story
- South Korea make historic North Korea visit but without their fans
- Dream of reviving north Cyprus ghost town may turn sour
- Is the World Economy Sliding Into First Recession Since 2009
- WEF: East Asia, Pacific the world’s most competitive regional economy
- Is World Economy Sliding Into First Recession Since 2009?
- Is the world economy sliding into first recession since 2009?
- Central and Eastern Europe (CEE), Global Recession and Foreign Direct Investment (FDI)
- Ben Ali: Tunisian autocrat ousted in Arab spring dies in exile
- Canada’s global leadership includes foreign aid
- Real Time Location Systems Market- Global Industry Analysis, Trends, Forecast 2014-2020
North Korea, exiled from the global economy, turns to bitcoin have 309 words, post on mashable.com at December 12, 2017. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.