Nintendo's most iconic intellectual property could be returning to the big screen. This time around, it'll be as an animated movie rather than a live-action film.
The Japanese gaming giant is reportedly holding talks with Universal Pictures and its animation studio, Illumination Entertainment, with regard to producing an animated Super Mario Bros. flick. Insiders tell The Wall Street Journal that the parties have been negotiating for more than a year and are finally close to reaching an agreement. Nothing has been finalized but things are looking good at this point.
With any luck, the production will fare better than Nintendo's first Mario movie.
The original Super Mario Bros. film starring Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo debuted in mid-1993 and was a commercial flop. It told the classic Koopa-kidnaps-princess story but in a live-action manner. Critics had issues with the film's dialogue, characters and storyline. It currently has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 15 percent from critics.
Illumination Entertainment is a well-respected studio that's best known for creating the Despicable Me franchise and its spin-off, Minions.
Nintendo legend and Super Mario Bros. creator Shigeru Miyamoto will reportedly be a producer on the project and have direct input in its development.
Nintendo partnered with Universal a few years back on the creation of a Nintendo theme park. The two broke ground on Super Nintendo World in June with the park set to open in Japan by 2020, just in time for the Tokyo Summer Olympics .
- Super Mario Bros. gets battle royale game and Game & Watch for 35th anniversary
- S$139 Super Mario Bros Nintendo Game & Watch ships for free to S'pore but sold out
- The $2 Million Mario Bros. Auction May Have Been Rigged | Digital Trends
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars review – a galaxy of remastered entertainment
- From new fighters to DLC, here's all we know about 'Super Smash Bros. Ultimate'
- "Super Mario Galaxy" and other classic Mario games coming to Nintendo Switch
- Super Mario Maker 2 is a dream for both creators and players
- Lego has created a Super Mario 64 ? Block tribute and it looks fantastic
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars for Nintendo Switch out in two weeks, but only till March
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate First DLC Character is Joker from Persona 5 | Digital Trends
- Nintendo's E3 2015 Event Highlights: Super Mario Maker, Star Fox Zero, Zelda, and More
- Super Mario Labyrinth brings the Mushroom Kingdom to another classic board game
- Over 50 Sexual Misconduct Allegations Have The Super Smash Bros. Community In Turmoil
- How to Unlock Characters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate | Digital Trends
- Nintendo shuts down long-scheduled Super Smash Bros Ultimate tournament with less that two-week notice
- How to Play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online with Friends | Digital Trends
- The Man Who Does The Impossible in Super Mario 64
- Best Mario Games: Top 10 Super Mario Platformers
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Beginner's Guide to Fighting, Characters, and More | Digital Trends
- Nintendo's Adorable Retro Handheld Would Be Perfect With More Games
Nintendo is about to sign off on an animated Super Mario Bros. movie have 475 words, post on www.techspot.com at November 15, 2017. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.