FREMONT, Calif. — If the gleaming Model 3 rolling out of the Tesla factory here Friday could ask its maker a question, this one would be apt.”Will I be the next Ford Model T, the spark of a new transportation revolution, or the Ford Edsel, a misfire consigned to the annals of automotive history?”Tesla CEO Elon Musk is sure of the answer.“The whole point of Tesla was to build a great affordable electric car,” Musk said at gathering of employees and a few dozen media for the rollout of the first Model 3 cars. “That’s what this day means. I’m confident it’ll be the best car in its class, gasoline or not, hands down.” Related: Certainly a lot rides on the Model 3’s tires. Tesla has become a cultural touchstone because of its fast and expensive $69,500-and-up Model S and X electric sedans, but with the $35,000 Model 3 it hopes usher EVs into the mainstream while turbocharging its production numbers to calm investors.Tesla produces around 100,000 vehicles a year, all Model S and X. Now with the Model 3, it hopes to ramp up to 600,000.Tesla’s stock continues to soar despite questions about profitability, rocketing to $334 from $235 in… Read full this story
- Elon Musk says Tesla Model S plays Cyberpunk 2077
- Elon Musk admits Tesla has quality problems
- Report: Elon Musk’s Tesla Is Profitable from Selling Regulatory Credits – Not Cars
- Elon Musk's Tesla has reinvented the (steering) wheel
- Tesla Model 3 breaks into the top 10 bestselling sedans in the US for the first time after hitting production goals despite Elon Musk's SEC controversy
- Tesla hits ambitious Model 3 production goals and sales targets despite Elon Musk's SEC controversy
- Elon Musk’s big promises for 2021: Tesla CEO announces that Cybertrucks will be delivered and says the Full-Self Driving system will have Level 5 autonomy by the end of the year - despite the beta version 'not even reaching Level 3'
- Elon Musk’s shy 36-year-old finance chief, Zachary Kirkhorn, behind Tesla's remarkable turnaround
- 'Production is hell': Elon Musk says criticism of Tesla's quality - like bad paint jobs and Model 3's designs - is 'accurate'
- Runway goddess at 69, and Elon Musk's mom!
Elon Musk rolls out Tesla's Model 3 at splashy event have 352 words, post on www.usatoday.com at July 28, 2017. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.