For decades, the Department of Justice has used court-enforced agreements to protect civil rights, successfully desegregating school systems, reforming police departments, ensuring access for the disabled and defending the religious.Now, under Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the DOJ appears to be turning away from this storied tool, called consent decrees. Top officials in the DOJ civil rights division have issued verbal instructions through the ranks to seek settlements without consent decrees — which would result in no continuing court oversight. The move is just one part of a move by the Trump administration to limit federal civil rights enforcement. Other departments have scaled back the power of their internal divisions that monitor such abuses. In a previously unreported development, the Education Department last week reversed an Obama-era reform that broadened the agency’s approach to protecting rights of students. The Labor Department and the Environmental Protection Agency have also announced sweeping cuts to their enforcement.“At best, this administration believes that civil rights enforcement is superfluous and can be easily cut. At worst, it really is part of a systematic agenda to roll back civil rights,” said Vanita Gupta, the former acting head of the DOJ’s civil rights division under President Barack Obama.Consent… Read full this story
- Major Civil Rights Movements in all 50 States
- China State Media Says Biden, Antony Blinken's Views of China 'Identical' to Trump Administration
- Gay American Dads Sue Trump Administration for Denying ‘Out-of-Wedlock’ Daughter Citizenship
- Biden 'will repeal 2017 ban on transgender people enlisting in the military as soon as Monday' - the latest effort by his administration to roll back many of Trump's policies
- Trump Administration Has Doubled Private Prison Spending With Most Money Spent on Detaining Immigrants: 'They Are Not a Threat to Public Safety,' Advocates Say
- ACLU Has Filed 400 Lawsuits Against Trump Administration
- NYC has just 7,710 first doses of COVID-19 vaccine left - as Mayor de Blasio begs federal government to let him start using his reserved 200k second doses
- Trump Administration Will Review Transgender Murders, as Hate Crime Rates Soar In U.S.
- Biden, promoting racial equity, rips Trump administration’s ‘ignorance and lies’
- ACLU Sues the Federal Government for the Release of 10-Year-Old Undocumented Girl
Trump administration quietly rolls back civil rights efforts across federal government have 358 words, post on www.abajournal.com at June 16, 2017. This is cached page on Law Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.